Meetings to discuss starting a commons council
A considerable number of chairmen of commoners’ associations all over Cumbria and Northumberland are showing an interest in starting a commons council. As a result we are planning a series of meetings to explain more about what a commons council can and can't do, hear the view of commoners and gauge whether there is sufficient interest to take this further.
At these meeting we will consider:
- who can and can't take part in a commons council, including the number of people representing each of the main interests, e.g. active graziers, non-graziers and landowners
- what functions and powers we want the commons council to have
- how we’ll finance the running of the commons council
- the relationship between the proposed council, your commoners’ associations and the Federation of Cumbria Commoners
- if there is enough interest to take this forward
The meetings will take place on:
- 19th January, Bower House Inn, Eskdale CA19 1TD from 7.30 pm
- 24th January, Caldbeck Room, Newton Rigg, Penrith CA11 0AH from 7.30 pm
- 1st February, The Golden Lion, Allendale NE47 9BD from 7.00 pm
If you wish to attend please can you let us know by phone, text, e-mail Cumbria Commons Council Facebook page.